Planning the annual family vacation? Follow these tips to help keep the kids entertained, the adults happy, and the vacation stress-free:
Touch base with your resort...
- If you’re planning to arrive after the scheduled check-in time, contact your resort to find out the policy and procedures for your late check-in.
- Many resorts offer kid-friendly programs and activities. Some even have sitting services. Contact your resort prior to arrival to see what is available and if any reservations are needed. This will give you much-needed “grown-up” time while on vacation to enjoy a relaxing dinner or movie with your significant other.
- Will you need a crib or high chair? Even if the resort website states these items are available, it’s always a good idea to check with the resort ahead of time to confirm availability.
While you’re packing...
- Load your phone and/or tablet with videos, music, and books that will keep the kids entertained on the plane, in the car, or during a rainy day.
- Speaking of phones and tablets, don’t forget to pack a portable charger. While on vacation, you will probably be spending time on the beach, on the slopes, or exploring the city – without access to an outlet. A portable charger will juice up your device so you don’t have to make pit stops at restaurants or coffee shops to “borrow” an outlet.
- Can’t afford to be without some items in the event your bags get delayed? Pack essentials like medications, baby formula, diapers, phone chargers, and travel documents in your carry-on.
- Snacks. Snacks. Snacks. If you are flying to your destination, you never know if your flight will be delayed with you on it. If you are driving, you could get caught in a traffic jam. Dried fruit, crackers, nuts, and granola bars all make for good grub in pinch. And don’t forget to hydrate! Good ol’ H2O works like a charm.
- Remember you will have a washer/dryer in your unit. Knowing you will be able to do a load or two of laundry while away will help to keep your suitcase a little lighter.
During your vacation...
- Take advantage of your unit’s kitchen! You’ll save money and the family will enjoy a home-cooked meal. When checking in, find out where the closest supermarket is, or to save even more time, find out which supermarkets in the area provide grocery delivery services.
- Who doesn’t like saving money? Many vacation destinations have local coupon books available for free at visitor centers, convenience stores, or maybe even at your resort (some may even have coupon apps you can download to your phone). These books are chock full of coupons, many for family-related activities and restaurants.
- Most importantly, relax and have fun! No family vacation ever goes exactly according to plan. Your mood will determine whether the unexpected dampens – or adds adventure to – your vacation.